- Filmed with live actors in black-and-white and rotoscoped, each animation cel drawn over a film frame of an actor.
- None of the actors portraying the physical parts of the characters in this movie provided the voices. In fact, Billy Barty, founder of the Little People of America, actually provided two physical parts - that of Samwise Gamgee and Bilbo Baggins. Because of then-current Screen Actors Guild union rules pertaining to onscreen credits (only actors with speaking parts would have onscreen credit), not a single performer that physically appeared in the film was credited. Barty was so incensed by this ruling that he challenged it for future productions. As a result of his bold action, thousands of actors, dancers, extras, body doubles, stuntmen, etc. who formerly would have remained nameless, now receive the recognition they richly deserve.
- Used battle footage from _Alexander Nevsky (1938)_ .
- Many crowd scenes are live-action film that was tinted.
- Rotoscoped action scenes were filmed in Spain.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute